(174 n.m. from Piraeus)
Golden sandy beaches, sunbathed vineyards, houses with courtyards and basil, remarkable archaeological sites.
Chosen by Goddess Hera -Jupiter's wife-, Pythagoras, Epicure, Aristarchos.
Otherwise, where mathematics, numerology, astronomy, physics and chemistry were established.
Interesting places to visit
- Samos the capital, which is built in the recess of a great bay, preserves its traditional character and is full of neoclassical houses.
- The Archaeological Museum.
- The Museum of Byzantine Art.
- Ano Vathi, is a village with old houses and narrow windows and wooden balconies, painted with bright colours.
- The church of Ai-Yiannakis which is full of frescoes.
- Karlovasi can be reached through a good asphalt road.
- Kokkari, which is built in a ravine.
- Tsamadou beach, which is one of the most popular ones on the island.
- Avlakia, which is a small fishing village on the edge of a bay.
- Vourliotes, which is a mountain village with a characteristic architecture.
- Panagia Vrontiani and the monastery with the wood-carved temple and the silver icon of Madonna.
- Platanakia, which is an enchaning landscape full of greenery.
- The mountain villages Manolates, Ampelos, Stavrinides.
- Agios Konstantinos which is at the seaside and full of flowers.
- The monastery of Transformation of the Saviour (11th century), which is built on the mountain.
- Marathocampos is one of the most beautiful villages.
- Samiopoula is tiny isle with a beautiful beach.
- The crystal clear beach of Votsalakia.
- The villages Platanos (500 m. heigh), Koutsi, Pyrgos.
- The monastery of Megali Panagia (Virgin the Great) which is rich of frescoes and has a wood-carved temple.
- The Palaiontological Museum of Mytilinioi, which houses remnants of animals that lived in this island millions of years ago.
- The important archaeological place of Heraion; goddess Hera's birthplace.
- Pythagoreion or Tigani which is a real treasure; ruins of the Wall of Polycrates, ancient theatre, the famous Trench of Eupalinos, and the local museum.
- The church of Panagia Spiliani which is carved on rock.
- Gangou which is an organised beach.
- Kotsika promontory.
- The monasteries of Zoodohos Pigi (Life-giving Spring) and Agia Zoni (Holly Belt).
- The marvelous beaches of Psilli Ammos (Slim Sand) and Poseidonio.
- The picturesque islands of Myloi, Pagondas, Spathareol, Koumaradeoi, Agios Nikolaos, Prasonisi, Vareloudi which are what we call "paradise" for underwater fishing.